background

Monday, October 1, 2012

Tanzanian Morning


Although the sun doesn’t come up until 6:30am, the day starts long before that for most people here.  I hear the roosters crowing around 4 or 5, and then the other animals nearby start, and it isn’t long before I hear the voices of people in the road, walking to their jobs or to school or to the market. About a block from our house is an orphanage – I hear those children too, starting their chores outside, giggling and talking.  This time of year, the air is cool in the mornings, and it’s pleasant to be outside.  It’s even “cold” to locals – our guard at our house wears a full-length parka sometimes, when it’s the low 60s. =) 


The view from my bed!

My first sight when I wake up is the inside of my mosquito net, and thankfully I have only forgotten once that it surrounds me and I sat up and got tangled.  A window right next to my bed looks out over our yard and vegetable garden, and in the distance is Mount Kilimanjaro.  That is a sight I don’t think I’ll ever tire of. It’s majestic and the lighting on it is always a bit different. 

I'm not a morning person, but I am loving all the mornings here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment